Re: DSL speed

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Zach wrote:

The speed test at dslreports.com is showing my download speed as 625
Kb/s. This seems a lot less than the 768 Kb/s I'm supposed to have. My

ISPs usually give you the down speed in killer bits not killer bites.
So it sounds more impressive.
So if you get 768 killerbits/sec then divide that by 8 and you should get
96 killer bites/sec.

However, if this isn't the case and you recieve much faster speeds than 96 kb when downloading then its probably how far you are from the exchange or How good the internet cable is which isn't your's so you have no control over.
Also it really does depend where you are downloading from.
(A server far away will take a bit longer than a local one.)

Like for example I connect to a server in new south whales I would imagine since Sydney is the biggest city here and I am in another state but I receives very good speeds. (about 900 kb/sec.)
As soon as I download from a us server I get about 400 kb.)
Are you on dsl 2? Do you have a dsl2 supported modeum?

-- Daniel Dalton
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d.dalton@iinet.net.au