Re: Iceape

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
>  > Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:42:33 -0800
>  > From: Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>
>  > To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>  > Subject: Re: Iceape
>

>  > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:13 AM, mess-mate <mess-mate@orange.fr> wrote:
>  >
>  > <snip>
>  >>  Are you sure ?
>  >>  The latest (etch) is version 1.5.0.14pre (20080208)
>  >>  So is mine (etch)
>  >
>  > You must be looking at the wrong package. The latest stable
>  > Iceape/SeaMonkey is 1.1.x. The development  version is
>  > 2.0a1pre (2.0 pre-alpha) - there is no 1.5 version at all.
>  >
>  >
>  > Bret, there is way to get older versions, unfortunately, I can't
>  > remember it right now. I am sure someone else on the list
>  > knows, or you could download and install SeaMonkey from
>  > Mozilla. It isn't a .deb, but it isn't too hard to setup, and you
>  > could move up to 1.1, which is a fair bit better than 1.0
>  >
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  > Kelly Clowers
>  >
>  >

>  Okay, this is where it gets difficult, as it is not a simple .deb
>  package installation.
>
>  I follow the instructions, as a user and, when I am in the installer,
>  it comes to the part where it says something like "Install in
>  /usr/local/seamonkey", and I accept that, then it says
>  "usrl/local/seamonkey does not exist. Create it?", so I respond "Yes",
>  and it responds "unable to create directory".
>
>  So, I think, "Okay, as a user, I cannot create a directory in there; I
>  must need to do it as a superuser.".
>
>  So I do an "su - root", and repeat the procedure for installation, with
>  the same download.
>
>  Except, when I enter the required command, "./seamonkey-installer", as
>  at
>  http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.1.8/installation#linux
>  , I get
>  "(seamonkey-installer-bin:17610): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".
>
>  As I have previously said, I am running Debian etch (4.0), which is
>  later than the required Debian 3.0, so I should not encounter a
>  compatibility problem.
>
>  This is where having software packages, provided as installable packages
>  via the particular distribution package handler (in this case, having
>  the software available as a .deb package, like Opera does), makes
>  installation possible and easy, whereas using the procedure required for
>  seamonkey, makes it too difficult for people like me, who are not Linux
>  "guru's ".

There is a definite advantage to .debs. Anyway, what I would do is
create the directory as root, then change the group and permissions
so your user can write to it. Your primary group name is the same as
your user name.

root# mkdir /usr/local/seamonkey
root# chgrp $username /usr/local/seamonkey
root# chmod g+rwx /usr/local/seamonkey

At this point, you should be able to install to this directory as your
normal user.

Regarding your later message, it sounds like you are trying a
Mozilla package that is in the Debian repos? If so, that is just
a transition package to SeaMonkey (IceApe).

Mozilla 1.8 = SeaMonkey 1.0 (rename) = IceApe 1.0 (Debian rename).

re: your even later message (man I love gmail's update conversation
button), If SeaMonkey is (still) in your menu, that is Mozilla.

I have to leave again, but I'll check in later.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers