Re: Iceape

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Kelly Clowers wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:42:33 -0800
From: Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>
To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Iceape

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:13 AM, mess-mate <mess-mate@orange.fr> wrote:

<snip>
 Are you sure ?
 The latest (etch) is version 1.5.0.14pre (20080208)
 So is mine (etch)

You must be looking at the wrong package. The latest stable
Iceape/SeaMonkey is 1.1.x. The development  version is
2.0a1pre (2.0 pre-alpha) - there is no 1.5 version at all.

Bret, there is way to get older versions, unfortunately, I can't
remember it right now. I am sure someone else on the list
knows, or you could download and install SeaMonkey from
Mozilla. It isn't a .deb, but it isn't too hard to setup, and you
could move up to 1.1, which is a fair bit better than 1.0

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Okay, this is where it gets difficult, as it is not a simple .deb package installation.

I follow the instructions, as a user and, when I am in the installer, it comes to the part where it says something like "Install in /usr/local/seamonkey", and I accept that, then it says "usrl/local/seamonkey does not exist. Create it?", so I respond "Yes", and it responds "unable to create directory".

So, I think, "Okay, as a user, I cannot create a directory in there; I must need to do it as a superuser.".

So I do an "su - root", and repeat the procedure for installation, with the same download.

Except, when I enter the required command, "./seamonkey-installer", as at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.1.8/installation#linux , I get
"(seamonkey-installer-bin:17610): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".

As I have previously said, I am running Debian etch (4.0), which is later than the required Debian 3.0, so I should not encounter a compatibility problem.

This is where having software packages, provided as installable packages via the particular distribution package handler (in this case, having the software available as a .deb package, like Opera does), makes installation possible and easy, whereas using the procedure required for seamonkey, makes it too difficult for people like me, who are not Linux "guru's ".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."