Re: update-manager-solved

On Tue February 26 2008, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, I get different output when I do an:
> aptitude update
> apt-get update
> update-manager
>
> I think maybe I am unable to do updates right now. Here is the output of
> each of those commands:
> # aptitude reinstall update-manager
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   libquicktime0
> The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
>   update-manager
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 1
> not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Error!
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the update-manager package. This might
> mean you need to manually fix this package.
>

> # update-manager
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:18: FutureWarning: apt API
> not stable yet
>   warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 305, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 269, in main
>     distinfo = get_distro_information()
>   File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 232, in get_distro_information
>     distinfo = guess_debian_release()
>   File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 186, in guess_debian_release
>     rinfo = guess_release_from_apt()
>   File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 160, in guess_release_from_apt
>     version = RELEASE_CODENAME_LOOKUP.get(unknown, rinfo.get('suite',''))
> NameError: global name 'unknown' is not defined
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 70, in ?
>     app = UpdateManager(data_dir)
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py",
> line 261, in __init__
>     dinfo = DistInfo (base_dir=datadir+"channels/")
>   File
> "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/UpdateManager/Common/DistInfo.py", line
> 58, in __init__
>     dist_file = open (dist_fname)
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or
> directory: '/usr/share/update-manager/channels//.info'
>
> # apt-get update
> <SNIP>
> Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release  Unable
> to find expected entry  unstable/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file
> (malformed Release file?)
> Failed to fetch http://www.debian-multimedia.org/dists/etch/Release  Unable
> to find expected entry  contrib/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file
> (malformed Release file?)
> Failed to fetch
> [...]

I reinstalled update-manager, changed my sources.list so there were no errors,
and now everything is working again..
not sure why update-manager shows ubuntu on a Debian Etch system, but it
works:

 dpkg --list|grep update-manager
ii  update-manager                         0.42.2ubuntu22-11
GNOME application that manages software upda

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800