Re: Nvidia to Intel

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Frank McCormick wrote:
    I just went back to the straight Intel video driver for the
on-board video on my Sid installation. I was running an older Nvidia
card but got tired of trying to keep the driver up to the kernel.

Do you frequently compile your kernel? The nvidia-installer is a bit of a pain to use in that case. You will be better off using the debian way. There is a very nice page about it on the debian wiki.

  No but when I do it's becoming a real pain to keep up.

If you use just the stock kernel, the pre-compiled binary for nvidia driver will be available in sid within a few days of the kernel, in the non-free section. So, an apt-get install nvidia-kernel-`uname -r` should do the trick.

  Aptitude says can't find that file.

What I didn't realize was how slow the Intel video is - in Firefox for
example I can almost see the top half of the page painted!

I am running an Intel D865GBF board from a few years ago, with a 2.6
GHZ dual core and a gig of memory.

Did you check what driver you are using? Sometimes, you may have to explicitly specify the intel driver (i810, I think) in place of the default vesa driver.

  Yes, I'm running the intel driver which now covers a lot of chips

I have run dpkg-reconfigure on xserver-xorg but it didn't ak any
questions about video. Seems that what it does now.

Check your xorg.conf and change the driver manually if needed.

  I inserted the intel driver in xorg.conf but it made no difference.

Am I missing something or do I have to go back to Nvidia to get some
decent video speed?

FWIW, I find the nvidia driver to be worth the little effort required.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Good link, but it all unbelievably involved and fraught with mistakes. My hats off to whoever runs Nvidia all the time.

Cheers

Frank