courier-imap uid/gid problem

Hi,
After upgrading from etch to lenny courier-imap does not seam to like my userdb configuration. I can authenticate but not get any mail. No error messages are present in mail.log or mail.err. I am running the following versions:

courier-authdaemon                0.60.1-1+b1
courier-authlib                   0.60.1-1+b1
courier-authlib-userdb            0.60.1-1+b1
courier-base                      0.58.0.20080127-1
courier-imap                      4.3.0.20081027-1
courier-imap-ssl                  4.3.0.20081027-1
courier-ssl                       0.58.0.20080127-1

/etc/courier/userdb originally had:
uid=vmail | gid=vmail

If I turn off IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK in /etc/courier/imapd everything works OK, but running authtest against a user then returns the following:
Authenticated: user@domain.id.au  (uid 0, gid 0)

(I thought the uid and gid should be equal to the vmail user and group which is 110, so I think something is still not working correctly)

Now if I change all the gid and uid in /etc/courier/userdb from the group *name* to the group *number* gid=vmail to gid=110 (and the same for user id and number) and turn IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK back on everything works. So it looks to me like courier is no longer converting group names to numbers from userdb. If anyone is running a similar setup could they please test this out?

The following bug report might be relevant:

Thanks.