Re: proper mailname

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 04:37:33PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
I'm using exim/fetchmail/mutt to send and receive mail. However, I've
noticed that several programs that try and send me messages are
confused - things like sudo and at, which try and mail messages to
root@sedgenet or tyler@sedgenet. sedgenet is just a made-up domain I
picked when I set up my laptop, but now I see that I need to tweak
something so that system-generated emails are properly routed. So
should I change my etc/mailname, or is there some way to set an alias
such that tyler@sedgenet and root@sedgenet are actually delivered to
real email addresses.

/etc/hostname and /etc/mailname should match with hostname and mailname in exim4 config file. Just make sure they are identical.

Andrius

Give us your /etc/hosts, /etc/aliases, /etc/mailname, and the file (I
forget what it is and I'm not running screen) that tells exim-config how
to write the config file: the one that is created by dpkg-reconfigure
exim-config.  Also, give us /etc/email-addresses

at, cron, and friends should send to the person running them, likely
root.  /etc/aliases should contain an alias for root that sends it to
your local user's mailbox.
Exim checks the aliases and as long as exim is set up for local mail
plus smarthost it should deliver local mail without it going out to the
internet.  Mail going out need to be rewrietten by exim so that the
local host.domain name is changed to your internet email address.

Doug.