Re: typewriter function for an impact printer?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:10:49PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/23/08 10:09, Chuck Rhode wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty wrote this on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:02:24AM -0500.
> > My reply is below.
> >
> >> Perhaps I can get away without the VT520 if I can tell unix to use
> >> the printer as the console output and a USB keyboard as the console
> >> input.
> >
> > You might be able to find a DecWriter in working condition.
>
> An LA36 would be bitchin' cool.  The only Linux machine in the world
> with a TTY console...

I remember back in the 70's, the non-profit my mom helped found.  The
Director's son set up the computer system and it used an IBM selectric
as the keyboard.  Normal output went to a TV (16 x 16 display) and it
would print back to the selectric (e.g. printing out mailing lables).  A
flick of a switch would make the selectric a normal typewriter again for
correspondance.

Doug.