Re: typewriter function for an impact printer?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 07:56:21PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 05:50:05AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >> I often have forms to fill out and some would be better not
> >> hand-written.  However, they all differ so I can't just set-up a
> >> template.
> >> Does anyone know of an app that will give me an interactive session with
> >> my Epson dot-matrix printer?  I could feed that in (its an LQ-2080 and
> >> will do plain paper), use the enter key in the traditional typewriter
> >> way, etc.
> >>
> >> It shouldn't be too big a deal to do, I just figured I'd see if there's
> >> already a solution before I try to reinvent a very old wheel.
> >
> > Very interesting. While I am not aware of any such app, doesn't
> > "cat > /dev/lp0" (or equivalent) work?
>
> That would probably work in a "line mode" sort of way. That is you
> could get one line at a time. But that wouldn't help with horizontal
> position. You likely need a way to send each character individually so
> that you could space-bar your way across the page to the next blank.
>

> There is a technical manual that *almost* qualifies as a technical
I have the technical document.

Since I can just send regular ascii to print regular ascii, presumably
it accepts spaces and carriage returns (I don't know if it accepts other
ascii controll codes for movement, but I won't remember those and
typewriters don't have those either (well, I suppose line feed without
carrage return would be helpfull).

Doug.