Re: [OT] things to look for in a flatpanel monitor

On 17/02/2008, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:22:03AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > On 17/02/2008, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>  >

> > Could you elaborate on the 6-bit / 8-bit bit a bit? When I do finally
>  > get an LCD (probably in another six months or so, if I can help it), I
>  > want to know about this. One of the main functions of our desktop is
>  > Digikam (photos) so quality photo reproduction is important to us.
>

> I've only seen a few professionals viewing images on a screen.  None of
>  them were using a CRT.
>
>  I'm a CCU nurse.  Sure, one can call up xrays on the normal desktop
>  display, but if you want to see anything in detail and especially make
>  any treatment decisions, you go over to the big CRT and call it up.

I've seen those super-high resolution B&W Rentgoen monitors at
hospitals. Very impressive indeed, though I don't think that they are
very practical for home use.

>  I bought my 21" Intergraph CRT off-lease for $250.  It has a slight
>  aberration in one corner but I know its there and wouldn't retouch a
>  photo in that section without panning away from it.  Off-lease may be
>  one options for you to get good image quality without breaking the bank.
>
>  Think of the resolution of a camera.  Kodak Kodachrome professional
>  ISO25 slide film has always been the gold-standard.  When you look at
>  the grain density and do the math, it comes out to around 32 MPixel.
>  A Nikon digital SLR is around 18 MPixel, with consumer-grade digital
>  cameras lower still.
>
>  Take an 8x10" glossy print made from that Kodachrom slide.  80 square
>  inches for 32 MPixel (well, less since the paper isn't as good as the
>  slide).  That's 409.6 Kpixel per square inch.  Square-root
>  that and you get 647 dpi.  So, you use a larger monitor.  Think of a CRT
>  at 1600 x 1200.  That's 1.8 Mpixel.  Double that to 3200 x 2400 and you
>  get 7.3 MPixel.
>
>  How tightly packed are those pixels?  Large-screen flat-panels may give
>  you large X x Y but at what size screen?  How easy is it to edit a
>  picture at 3200 x 2400 if the screen is 6 feet wide?
>
>  Then you have to look at contrast, number of bits per pixel.  My CRT is
>  the standard X.org max of 24 bits/pixel.
>
>  What is the source of the images you'll be editing?  How may MPixels,
>  how many bits/pixel?  If its from physical media, what are the specs on
>  the digitizer/scanner?  What are the specs on the printer you'll use?
>
>  Just some thoughts.
>
>  Doug.

We're not doing any photo retouching, only looking at pictures shot
with 3-7 MP home cameras. However, as it is our primary way of viewing
the photos, we want something decent. I'm thinking about a minimum
resolution of 1600x1200 and the best colour possible.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il