Re: [OT] things to look for in a flatpanel monitor

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:22:03AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/02/2008, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> Could you elaborate on the 6-bit / 8-bit bit a bit? When I do finally
> get an LCD (probably in another six months or so, if I can help it), I
> want to know about this. One of the main functions of our desktop is
> Digikam (photos) so quality photo reproduction is important to us.

I've only seen a few professionals viewing images on a screen.  None of
them were using a CRT.

I'm a CCU nurse.  Sure, one can call up xrays on the normal desktop
display, but if you want to see anything in detail and especially make
any treatment decisions, you go over to the big CRT and call it up.

I bought my 21" Intergraph CRT off-lease for $250.  It has a slight
aberration in one corner but I know its there and wouldn't retouch a
photo in that section without panning away from it.  Off-lease may be
one options for you to get good image quality without breaking the bank.

Think of the resolution of a camera.  Kodak Kodachrome professional
ISO25 slide film has always been the gold-standard.  When you look at
the grain density and do the math, it comes out to around 32 MPixel.
A Nikon digital SLR is around 18 MPixel, with consumer-grade digital
cameras lower still.

Take an 8x10" glossy print made from that Kodachrom slide.  80 square
inches for 32 MPixel (well, less since the paper isn't as good as the
slide).  That's 409.6 Kpixel per square inch.  Square-root
that and you get 647 dpi.  So, you use a larger monitor.  Think of a CRT
at 1600 x 1200.  That's 1.8 Mpixel.  Double that to 3200 x 2400 and you
get 7.3 MPixel.

How tightly packed are those pixels?  Large-screen flat-panels may give
you large X x Y but at what size screen?  How easy is it to edit a
picture at 3200 x 2400 if the screen is 6 feet wide?

Then you have to look at contrast, number of bits per pixel.  My CRT is
the standard X.org max of 24 bits/pixel.

What is the source of the images you'll be editing?  How may MPixels,
how many bits/pixel?  If its from physical media, what are the specs on
the digitizer/scanner?  What are the specs on the printer you'll use?

Just some thoughts.

Doug.