Re: exim4 configuration in sid

Michael Marsh wrote:
On Feb 17, 2008 1:41 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:31:55AM -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:

1) There's nothing in /var/mail (I've configured exim4 to use the
traditional /var/mail mbox spools).
AFAIK it is empty until the first mail. Try something like

echo "test mail" | mail -s test your_username

Doesn't work.  It's trying to send local mail out through my smarthost.

2) Messages that should be delivered locally (eg, output from
debsecan) are being addressed to "user@empty", which exim4 is trying
to relay through my ISP's smarthost.
Is 'empty' the name of your machine? Your exim probably doesn't think
himself as the server for "empty" so he tries to relay the mail. I don't
know how to set this in exim (I use postfix), but you should also check
/etc/mailname and /etc/aliases.

/etc/mailname had been different.  I've updated it to match my old
configuration ("localhost.localdomain"), but still no luck.  At least
now things are labelled "user@localhost.localdomain", rather than
"user@empty".

What about /etc/hostname? Is it identical to that in Exim4 config file?

Regards,

Andrius