Re: exim4 configuration in sid

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:31:55AM -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:

> 1) There's nothing in /var/mail (I've configured exim4 to use the
> traditional /var/mail mbox spools).

AFAIK it is empty until the first mail. Try something like

echo "test mail" | mail -s test your_username

> 2) Messages that should be delivered locally (eg, output from
> debsecan) are being addressed to "user@empty", which exim4 is trying
> to relay through my ISP's smarthost.

Is 'empty' the name of your machine? Your exim probably doesn't think
himself as the server for "empty" so he tries to relay the mail. I don't
know how to set this in exim (I use postfix), but you should also check
/etc/mailname and /etc/aliases.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)