Re: exim4 configuration in sid

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 12:27:19 -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > Michael Marsh wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I've recently had to re-install, due to a drive failure, and as usual
> > > the hardest thing to configure properly is exim4.  Even with the exact
> > > same configuration as my previous setup (I've been doing full backups
> > > of /etc), I can't get it to work.
> > >
> > > I'm seeing two problems currently:
> > >
> > > 1) There's nothing in /var/mail (I've configured exim4 to use the
> > > traditional /var/mail mbox spools).
> > >
> > > 2) Messages that should be delivered locally (eg, output from
> > > debsecan) are being addressed to "user@empty", which exim4 is trying
> > > to relay through my ISP's smarthost.

[...]

> Yes, I know.  I've run that several times, to no benefit.  I've
> diff'ed my current /etc/exim4 against my last backup (a few days
> before the crash), and they're identical.  Is there any other
> configuration state hidden elsewhere?

What about /etc/aliases? I have these entries (among others):

mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root
security: root
logcheck: root
root: my_username

So everything is redirected to root(@localhost) and that is in turn
redirected to my normal user (this part is optional). Maybe something is
screwed up in this configuration file on your system, leading to the
bogus address?

          Florian   |