Re: Etch installation media doesn't boot (neither NETINST CD, nor floppies), but other distros do... :-(

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 06:53:30PM -0900, Siraaj Khandkar wrote:

> >  From the Debian boot F1 menu select 'boot parameters for special
> >machines' and read the help.  You may need a switch such as
> >'acpi=off' or 'pci=nomsi'.  In other words;
> >
> >#>boot acpi=off
> >or,
> >#>boot pci=nomsi
>
> If I could get that far, I probably wouldn't have posted this :-)
>
> Its not that I have errors on boot, it doesn't boot AT ALL, neither
> CD nor floppy.

Make yourself a grub-disk floppy.  The image is in the debian grub-disk
package.  If that won't boot you to a grub menu then there is a big
problem.

Follow the installation-manual's prep to make a hd-media USB stick
(assuming the box will boot USB sticks).  It uses syslinux bootloader
(same as the floppy I think).  If it won't boot then you also have a
problem.

Doug.