aptitude safe-upgrade hanging

    Any ideas why aptitude is hanging at "Preconfiguring Packages..." on a
safe-upgrade?  This is in testing.

265 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 4 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.7MB/174MB of archives. After unpacking 44.4MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
[ Snip pagckage list]
Fetched 11.7MB in 18s (635kB/s)
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...

    Oddly enough if I explicitly install a package it works fine.  I figured
it was a possible error in aptitude and upgraded it to the latest version in
testing.  Google has turned up nothing nor does there seem to be any relevant
bugs on bugs.debian.org.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...