Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

On 15/02/2008, Andrew Henry <adhenry@bredband.net> wrote:
> help.
>
>  I have debian lenny on a server with full disk encryption (the guided
>  partitioning option) and an external usb WD Mybook that is also
>  encrypted with dmcrypt/LUKS.
>
>  I just formatted the server to install and try out CentOS.  Then I went
>  to the Ubuntu Wiki to see how I can access the USB drive on another
>  computer, and I started reading about keys etc etc.  Have I just
>  overwritten my key to the usb drive whilst formatting the server?
>
>  I thought that HAL and Gnome had the ability to auto detect encrypted
>  devices and prompt for passphrase??  I thought all I needed was the
>  passphrase to be able to access the usb drive on another computer?
>
>  Please tell me ive not just lost all my data!
>
>  --andrew

When you have that sinking feeling while muttering "oh crap! oh crap!
oh crap!" you know you've messed up in ways that defy common sense, I
always make a habit to limit these moments.

What was on the drive? important stuff? do you have a copy of the keys
backed up somewhere?

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.