Re: OMG! Think I did something stupid with dmcrypt

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:18:25PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> I have debian lenny on a server with full disk encryption (the guided
> partitioning option) and an external usb WD Mybook that is also
> encrypted with dmcrypt/LUKS.
>
> I just formatted the server to install and try out CentOS.  Then I went
> to the Ubuntu Wiki to see how I can access the USB drive on another
> computer, and I started reading about keys etc etc.  Have I just
> overwritten my key to the usb drive whilst formatting the server?
>
> I thought that HAL and Gnome had the ability to auto detect encrypted
> devices and prompt for passphrase??  I thought all I needed was the
> passphrase to be able to access the usb drive on another computer?
>
> Please tell me ive not just lost all my data!

Can't tell you that.

Hopefully someone can come up with an answer but I doubt it.

Where are your backups?

FYI, I encrypt my backups onto an unencrypted drive.  My backups are
tarballs piped through OpenSSL's enc command.  It is portable across any
computer that can use SSL, gzip, and tar.

Doug.