Re: How to compare the package version?

s. keeling wrote:
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com>:
 On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM, hhding <hhding.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:
hi list

 Assume I have installed gcc-4.1 with version 4.1.2-15, and some
 application need gcc with version greater than 4.1.2-18. How can I check
 and compare the installed gcc version in debian way then decide install
 the new version or not? I have read the debian policy manual, but no
 version compare tool or command is mentioned.
 If you want to see the changes between the versions, you can open
 aptitude, select the gcc-4.1 package and press 'C' (or was it a
 lowercase 'c'?) to view the changelog of the package. This hopefully

locate changelog.gz | grep whatever         # :-

Does not work if the new version is not installed, though.

--
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb