Problem changing display color in 'ls'

The real problem is my 72 year old eyes. I have a lot of trouble reading
some of the pre-selected list colors in 'ls'.

I'm running Etch, Bash and Gnome on a Dell OptiPlex. I have a small '.bmp'
file that I use as a place holder in image file groups. 'ls' shows this
file name in green with a white background. Doing 'echo $LS_COLORS' shows
that '.bmp' files should be shown in bold magenta with a white background
(bm on white).

Noting that this could be a problem, I followed the book and ran 'dircolors
-p > colors'. I edited the 'colors' file to make '.bmp' files show as bold
black on cyan and then ran 'dircolors colors'. 'echo $LS_COLORS' showed no
change in the '.bmp' entry. 'ls -l' also showed no change.

Next, I ran 'dircolors > colors'. This put the actual commands in 'colors'.
I made the changes to the '.bmp' entry, made the file executable and ran
it. Still no change.

I then got into the 'colors' file and cut the first (long) line. I pasted
this line into me command prompt and exrcuted it.
I also ran 'export LS_COLORS'. This DID change 'LS_COLORS' to the value
I wanted, but running 'ls -l' showed still bm on white.

>From earlier experience, I know that logging in to Gnome doesn't give you a
true lokin session in Bash. To check this out, I ran 'bash -l' for a true
login session. Repeating all of the above gave identical results.

Again, I respectfully ask for help.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net