Re: modsecurity

Jeff D wrote:
Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Schiz0 wrote:
On Feb 13, 2008 2:13 PM, Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me why the modsecurity2_module is not in the Debian
repositories?  I understand that parts of it might not be GPL'ed, but
why can't it be carried in the non-free repositories if that's the
problem?  Debian carries things such as fully proprietary drivers in
non-free, so why the problem with modsecurity?

IMHO this is a very useful package.

If you're using etch, you can put this line in your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://etc.inittab.org/~agi/debian/libapache-mod-security2/ etch/

It actually has a link to that site on the official mod_security website.

Thanks.  I was unaware of that link.  I will make use of it.
Do you know why modsecurity isn't hosted directly?

here's a bug report on it:

OK. It's as I thought. It's a problem with the licensing. But, why can't it be moved to non-free rather than just being dropped altogether? All kinds of proprietary software is in non-free, and the Apache license is at least open even though it's not the GPL. I mean, I can "contaminate" the kernel right from the Debian repositories, so why am I not able to at least install open source software from there? I don't understand this at all.