Re: vanishing desktop menu and background pattern.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:13:57PM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Andrew & others,
>
> At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:28:47 -0800,
> a> my memory is that sometimes, on upgrades, xfce *unchecks* the "Allow
> xfce to manage desktop" option in one of the preference screens.
>
> I might have caused the problem by running dselect
> from a terminal in the xfce GUI.  Will have to
> remember to stick to single-user mode for non-trivial
> maintenance in the future.
>
> a> I don't remember which one it's in, but there are only a few. I seem to
> recall that just rechecking that option fixes it right up.
>
> There is no desktop menu.  Without finding a
> textual command, how can a preference screen
> be opened?

oh. well that's a problem. I sort of assumed you still had taskbars
available with a menu on them as opposed to the menu you get from
clicking on the desktop. If you have taskbars, you can right click to
add the xfce menu to them and then get at the preferences from there.

I know you probably already said this, but do you have both
xfce4-panel and xfdesktop running? You may have to switch over to a VT
to check.