Re: vanishing desktop menu and background pattern.

Andrew & others,

At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:28:47 -0800,
a> my memory is that sometimes, on upgrades, xfce *unchecks* the "Allow
xfce to manage desktop" option in one of the preference screens.

I might have caused the problem by running dselect
from a terminal in the xfce GUI.  Will have to
remember to stick to single-user mode for non-trivial
maintenance in the future.

a> I don't remember which one it's in, but there are only a few. I seem to
recall that just rechecking that option fixes it right up.

There is no desktop menu.  Without finding a
textual command, how can a preference screen
be opened?

Reinstalling xfdesktop4 changed nothing.  Perhaps
reinstalling the xfce4 metapackage will fix it.
But if the problem is in a global configuration
file, which is left untouched, this won't help either.

Ouch!

Thanks for any further ideas,     ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/