Re: wrapper script issue

I'd also ask, which I forgot in my first response to your question, is
this something that needs to be done for all users on your system or is
it a personal script?

I think the Debian policy in this case would guide you only if what
you're doing is for all users of the system.  If you're doing this for
yourself, most UNIX/Linux users I know would create an alias or function
to do it, in their own work space (~/bin, ~/.aliases, etc).

I noticed that ~/bin is not on my PATH by default.  Why does debian not do this?  And is it a bad idea to add it to the PATH?