Re: wrapper script issue

Putting the original executable in /etc/alternatives is not a good idea.
 The script you put in /usr/bin may get overwritten at some point, with
a security update, but still be at version 1.8, so you'd end up without
your wrapper, at least, and perhaps still running the binary you moved,
without the fix.

I'd also ask, which I forgot in my first response to your question, is
this something that needs to be done for all users on your system or is
it a personal script?

I think the Debian policy in this case would guide you only if what
you're doing is for all users of the system.  If you're doing this for
yourself, most UNIX/Linux users I know would create an alias or function
to do it, in their own work space (~/bin, ~/.aliases, etc).

Looks like I have more than one issue.  I'd like to get this issue of the best way to create and locate the wrapper script out of the way first.