Re: advanced power management for non-existent /dev/hda

On 11 Feb 2008 15:52:47 GMT, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On 2008-02-11, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 02/11/08 08:20, Tyler Smith wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm getting some strange errors at the end of the boot-up process.
> >> This is what it looks like in dmesg:
> >>
> >> hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> >> hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { AbortedCommand }
> >> ide: failed opcode was: 0xef
> >>
> >> The thing is, I don't have a /dev/hda. My single harddrive is scsi,
> >
> > Maybe there are some legacy config files hanging around.  I'd try
> > this, and see what it says:
> >
> > # grep hda /etc/*
> >

> Thanks, Ron.
>
> The only thing that comes up is my fstab file, which I had to monkey
> with after changing the partitions. hda is the device used for CDs on
> this system, but perhaps I've missed something to indicate that they
> shouldn't be mounted as part of the boot process?
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda7       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/sda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/sda8       /home/tyler/photos         ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> /dev/sdb1       /home/tyler/jumpdrive vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/windows    ntfs noauto,ro,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0

I get a similar error, but for /dev/hdc, which is my cdrom drive, and
which, as yours, is noauto.  I'm on a testing system as well, and have
been getting this, apparently harmless but nonetheless irritating
error message, for as long as I can remember.  (Don't ask!)

Patrick