Re: Java Grey Windows/Blank Windows/Sun are stupid

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:41:56AM +0100, Александър Л. Димитров wrote:

> > I know it's three days later, but you're best bet is to go to #xmonad.
>
> Yeah, they know that problem, but it seems to be non-trivial to get around it.
> There is an XMonad extension that fakes the WM-name and thus makes things work
> (can you imagine that? I'm a programmer... my guts *cringe* when I read about a
> workaround *this* stupid - that's what you get taught in *every* CS class: don't
> blow it up _that_ seriously!! -Environmental Descriptions- are not to be hardcoded!!).
> As it seems, this does cause segfaults for some people, however.

I agree, that is the definition of an ugly hack.

So in terms of an ugly hack to solve your problem -- how to run this
java-x app in xmonad... If it's a critical must have app but you are
unable to give up xmonad (I'm with you there!), here's an idea.

Why not run just this java app in an xnest or xserver-xephyr session?
If the app will run and display without a window manager at all, like using
startx java-app or having just the java-app in your .xinitrc, then you
could even run that nested session without a WM altogether. Or run it
fullscreen in whatever WM you can get to work with it. I have
absolutely no idea how hard it would be to do this and whether the
results would be satisfactory. I also recognise that it's just as ugly
a hack as spoofing the WM name, but maybe it would work for you.