Question Regarding Directory Prompts

The prompt always shows the entire chain to the current directory. My memory says this was not always so. There is nothing in .bashrc regarding this. Is it set somewhere else?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to work with a One Laptop per Child (olpc) laptop and the prompt never shows even the current directory. The olpc is fedora based but I'm trying to get it to behave more like Debian. My assumption is that aside from a few idiosyncracies fedora is linux.

Tom