Re: restoring the correct permissions for /var

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 09:13:49AM -0500, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > dtutty@titan:/var$ ls -Rl| wc
> >
> > and got
> >
> >    5502    44187   305254
> >
> > Which means there are 5502 files to which I have access (line count),
> > and if I email it to you, it will be 305254 bytes.
>
> But I do not think permissions on all the files is a crucial thing. For
> example, you might be having lot of packages under /var/cache/apt/archives/
> which might explain that huge number. I am able to install and remove
> packages. So the problem might not be with /var/cache/apt/archives
> permissions.
>
> I am more interested in the permissions of files which kde looks into.

I don't have anything in /var/cache/apt/archives.

I have not idea what kde looks into.  I use Konqueror but I don't have
KDE installed (I use icewm).

The only other choice which I can see is to run aptitude, select the
installed-packages meta-line, and tell aptitude to reinstall everything.
Since the system runs, it won't be down during the reinstall.

Doug.