Re: restoring the correct permissions for /var

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> dtutty@titan:/var$ ls -Rl| wc
>
> and got
>
>    5502    44187   305254
>
> Which means there are 5502 files to which I have access (line count),
> and if I email it to you, it will be 305254 bytes.

But I do not think permissions on all the files is a crucial thing. For
example, you might be having lot of packages under /var/cache/apt/archives/
which might explain that huge number. I am able to install and remove
packages. So the problem might not be with /var/cache/apt/archives
permissions.

I am more interested in the permissions of files which kde looks into.

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi