restoring the correct permissions for /var

Can some one please tell me how to restore the correct permissions for
directories and files in /var? Basically I copied the /var partition of my
computer to a spare hard drive, repartitioned the disk and copied the /var
partition back. However, during the process, the file permissions were not
preserved (as I was not being careful about it). Now every file in /var has
permissions like

drwxr-xr-t  4 root root  4096 2008-02-09 17:10 lock/
drwxr-xr-t  6 root root  4096 2008-02-10 03:03 tmp/

which does not make any sense. So I changed them using

chmod a+rwx /var/tmp /var/lock

But I don't know what the permissions of other files should be.

Also, when I log in into KDE as a user, it hangs up at "initializing system
services". This did not happen before. I am thinking this is somehow
related to the permissions of files in /var (since both the problems
occured after the /var transfer). Does anyone know the solution for this?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi