Re: Measuring & optimizing broadband speed

Zach:

> I am looking for accurate methods of measuring broadband speed,
> particularly for a 728 kbps / 128 kbps DSL line.

To monitor interface throughput, I often use nload. It shows an ASCII
graph and cur/max/avg bandwith usage.

> I want to see how close my real world throughput gets to the
> advertised bandwidth. Also what is the theoretical maximum and minimum
> ping (average return time) and lag (standard deviation of the ping)

This heavily depends on the connection to your house, I think.
Everything under 100ms is acceptable for me.

> for such a DSL line? Is there any sort of MTU, routing table or TCP/IP
> stack changes I can make (if so please explain how) to increase my
> latency, lag and packet loss? I use Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel.
> Oh yes I will have a static IP address.

pppd should handle things like MTU and setting up routes. Latency and
packet loss are basically out of your control (until you have a gross
misconfiguration on your side).

J.
--
As a child I pulled the legs from a spider.
[Agree]   [Disagree]