Re: Iceweasel problems - 2 of 3

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:32:16 -0500, JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com replied:

> If you want fvwm to open something at a definite location, specify the
> location in ~/.fvwm2rc.  Here's the extract from mine
> + "I" Exec Eterm -x --bold-font fixed --no-cursor -g 57x5+947+974  --scrollbar 0
>   --buttonbar 0 -e sudo grc tail -n 16 -f /var/log/syslog &

I do this in .fvwm2rc for various xterms.  I believe this depends on the fact
that xterm and Eterm honor their geometry arguments from a command line.  In
my experience, though, firefox (iceweasel) does not.  Where the window comes
up, and what size it is, has no relation to any "-g" or "-geometry" arguments
I try.  Neither its man page nor "firefox --help" indicates such an argument.
It's odd that giving it such an argument has no effect but also gives no
error message.

Firefox does claim to accept "-height" and "-width" but again, I actually get
800x980 no matter what arguments I give.  And even those wouldn't allow
specification of window placement.

With old Netscape, having this in ~/.Xresources

  Netscape.Navigator.geometry: 800x977+773+87

and calling xrdb worked.  But it does not with firefox.

I brought this up as a question in a thread "size and position of iceweasel
window" last year.  There seemed to be general agreement that firefox ignores
geometry requests.