Re: Non-understood advice - was Re: dist-upgrade from sarge to etch - package

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:34:14 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:54:08 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> Check for non-Debian packages on your system by running:
>>
>> aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'
>>

> As an aptitude-novice, I tried the above command on my
> fully-operational upgrade from Sarge to Etch.  It gave **a long list of
> installed packages - almost all of which were part of the Debian
> install***.
>
> What have I <missed|misunderstood>?

Firstly, I would like to thank Florian Kulzer and Daniel Burrows for
their replies.

They failed to address my misunderstanding and the fault was mine.

My concern arose not from the absence of "vuescan" (which - as pointed
out - is a monolithic binary package) but the presence of many dozens
of packages that were *not* non-Debian packages.

The concern arose from the fact that - following the upgrade
instructions to the letter - I recollect running a command that
identified non-Debian packages as part of the upgrade to Etch and *the
command gave the expected output*.  But, alas, I can no longer find
what that command was.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen