Re: How to set up a WLAN?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:57:45PM +0100, Hakon Alstadheim wrote:

> Check out module-assistant for automatically building extra modules for
> your kernel.

That's what I did. The module loads fine. Dmesg output is:

usbcore: registered new driver rt2500usb

If I do "ifconfig wlan1 up", the "Link" light comes on on the USB stick.

> A standard command to check for available networks is "iwlist scan". Run
> as root.

# iwlist scan

wlan1     No scan results

# iwlist freq

wlan1     0 channels
          Current Frequency=3D2.412 GHz

0 channels? I don't get it. Shouldn't I see at least the channels this thing
/could/ do, even if I sat in an EMI-proof building?

> Try building with module assistant. It will help you prepare your system
> for building. run dmesg after loading the module to see any
> error-messages and other info. It should report your card detected. Post
> here if there are messages you don't understand. Never used the usb
> variety, might need something extra loaded for that to work.

The "vanilla" rt2500 driver (available from another package) doesn't do
anything at all.

The rt2570 driver will at lest show up in dmesg, like the rt2500usb, and the
interface shows up as "eth3", not "wlan1", but apart from that it behaves
just like the other one. And not even the "Link" light comes on.

> Once you have the module loaded and running ok, check out the config
> file /etc/network/interfaces (which has a manual page). Together with
> the results from iwlist, you will have the info you need to make "ifup
> ra0" or "ifup wlan0" work.

I guess messing with /etc/interfaces won't help if even the low-level stuff
ain't working.

> For gui use, both kde and gnome have offerings, once you have the needed
> modules loaded.

I'd rather keep this a non-X box.

Thanks,
--D.