Re: What am I missing without mutt?

Dotan Cohen:

> I see what you are saying. Tell me, in mutt can I have several (5-6)
> compose messages open and switch between them and the main window that
> I'm copying / pasting from?

Not really. When editing messages, mutt invokes your editor and stays in
the background. There's no way to switch back. My kind-of-workaround is
to spawn another mutt (easy when using screen and having a keybinding
for that) and look up what I need. But I agree that this is a little bit
messy if you forget to mark mailboxes read-only ('%' on my system) when
opening them in several mutt instances at once.

> Also, will mutt remember that when I write
> to xyz@hisServer.com I need the From address to be xyz@myServer.com,
> and when I write to abc@anotherServer.com I need the From address to
> be abc@myServer.com?

That's what the 'alternates' feature and (send|folderi)-hooks are for.
You can use 'alternates' to tell mutt which addresses you have and 'set
reverse_name' to automatically use the To-Address of the mail you are
replying to (if this address is one of your 'alternate' addresses).  For
new messages you have to use hooks.

J.
--
If politics is the blind leading the blind, entertainment is the fucked-
up leading the hypnotised.