Re: How can to set debian to write as less as possible (to use it on Flash drive)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:53:38PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Good day,...
>
> Since my main pc is laptop i need something that will be as faill proof as
> posible.
>
> so i thought maybe to use flash drive as main drive and forget the swap or
> what ever the problem rises how ?

There are a number of ways to help you work with flash. But I'm not sure
you'll end up with a system that is over-all more reliable than a
journled file system.

> I'm not sure but most of todaies flash drive has a lifetime for 50K write
> per bit (not sure since i read about 100K somewhere) so it is really bad
> idea to use flash as swap or /var/log etc.
>
> the main question is how to set my favorite flavor (sid , sorry etch but i
> don't love backports.. ) to work with as less as possible writes?
> Ideas ? guides ? or what ever ...
>
> <To understend how to start>
> http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Install_Debian_on_USB
> </To understend how to start>
>
> but who can i disable writes without damaging my system i guess linked tmp
> with ramdisk is a start but i need more ideas .
>
> Thank you in advance.

debian-live and such use usnionfs (or actually: aufs) to uinion-mount a
ramdisk (for writing) on top of the DOK / CD (read-only). But if the
power goes down suddenly, then bye-bye changes.