Re: hard drive not spinning down.

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:22:22PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
> noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
> touchpad is almost burning hot.  I suspect that the drive is not
> spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
> connect from work).  How can I check if it is spinning down and are
> there any commands to do this manually?  I had to install cpufreq tools
> to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
> tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?

Well, if the fans are working on the laptop it should never get burning
hot.  There's no reason why a laptop can't run with its drive spinning
all the time (unless its on battery and you want to save the battery).

Check for airflow.  Also, note any difference in airflow between bios
screen (where you can verify the fan rpm) and during boot, and after
booting into debian.

Doug.