hard drive not spinning down.

I run Lenny on an Acer Aspire 5021WLMi laptop as an ssh server and I
noticed that the hard drive is getting very very hot so that the
touchpad is almost burning hot.  I suspect that the drive is not
spinning down when idle (and it's basically *always* idle, unless I
connect from work).  How can I check if it is spinning down and are
there any commands to do this manually?  I had to install cpufreq tools
to enable stepping on my CPU manually, so it seems like power management
tools aren't enabled by default in Debian?

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint:  FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217  315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA