Re: Brother laserprinter refuses to print pdfs

On 04/02/2008 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:56:47PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
> > quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.
>
> apt-cache show cups-pdf
>
> Although the description is a bit vague. I would expect "allows you to
> print pdf documents with cups" although it seems in a round about way to
> suggest it is possible.

Hey Chris,

as Jochen already pointed out, cups-pdf provides a virtual printer to
the cups system that writes the output to a pdf file - instead of
provinding support for printing pdfs to a printer.

I think the description of the package is quite clear:

 CUPS-PDF provides a PDF Writer backend to CUPS. This can be used as a
 virtual printer in a paperless network or to perform testing on CUPS.

'a virtual printer in a paperless network' should be clear enough ;-)

unfortunately, it seems like this problem is not too common. at least
nobody else answered yet to my original message.

greetings,
 jonas