Re: GTK+ E-mail App on par with Mutt?

On Feb 4, 2008 11:58 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 02/04/08 09:37, Wei Chen wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 02/04/08 07:07, Wei Chen wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >
> >> Call me tin-foil boy, but I'd rather not have all my sometimes-
> >> sensitive email sitting on the servers of a company who's whole
> >> business is based on "grepping" files looking for keywords, and
> >> which has a proven track records of sharing said data with decidedly
> >> authoritarian governments.
> >

> > Yes. What you said may be correct, but I'd rather not have my sensitive
>
> Now that I think about it, though, was it Yahoo or Google that
> turned over emails from dissenters to the PRC?

I cannot recall that, either.

> > information written in an email. Our daily sent emails, if not expressly
> > encrypted and signed, are by nature not secure, unfortunately.
>
> I hear what you are saying, and we all know that packet capture does
> happen.  But it's much *easier* to analyze -- and turn over to
> authorities -- emails that are sitting in some company's DC than it
> is to search all the packets zipping thru a mega-router.
>
> Note the emphasis on *easier*.

Note that the G.F.W system of the government is in fact mainly based
on ip packet filtering on back bone routers...

When not talking about extreme situations, we ordinary people never
think about the breaking of the government. The government never has
interest about one's girl friend's name or the color of one's car. The
situation is not so bad as foreigners may think. And besides, it's
better to have a filtered service than no service.

Back to the topic, personally I think the Web-based mail service is
good enough for ordinary people like me myself so far, though I think
it is definitely not suitable for ones like secret service agents,
therefore is recommended for the OP. ;-)

HTH

--
Cheers,
Wei