Re: USB HD permissions query

Brad Rogers wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm curious as to why, when I change the filesystem type to ext3 on a
> USB hard drive, I cannot write to the drive from normal user space,
> only root access is allowed.
>
> Changing the filesystem back to VFAT allows the writes to proceed
> without problem.  A bit of investigating shows that as ext3 the drive
> gets mounted root/root, but as VFAT it gets mounted as
> <username>/root.  So, that explains the read only status, but it does
> beg the question;  Why the difference in UID/GID when changing
> filesystems?

With ext3 on the USB HD you end up having to treat it just like a
“static HD”, i.e. you have to make sure that the permissions on the
directory allows your user to write.  In short, use chmod or chown :-)

VFAT doesn't have permissions in the Unix sense (in any sense really).
instead the permissions are set disk-wide at mount time.  You can
influence that through 'mount' options; -o uid=<user>,gid=<group>.  See
the “fat” portion of mount(8) for more details.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
     -- Daveman