Re: USB HD permissions query

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:53:44 +0000
Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:

Hello Magnus,

> With ext3 on the USB HD you end up having to treat it just like a
> “static HD”, i.e. you have to make sure that the permissions on the

I wasn't aware of that.  I don't know why it should be the case, but
given the above....

> directory allows your user to write.  In short, use chmod or chown :-)

...this makes sense.

> VFAT doesn't have permissions in the Unix sense (in any sense really).

Yes, I was aware of that, but didn't fully understand the implications.

> instead the permissions are set disk-wide at mount time.  You can
> influence that through 'mount' options; -o uid=<user>,gid=<group>.
> See the “fat” portion of mount(8) for more details.

Thanks for all the information, and references, Magnus.  Hopefully, my
reading the relevant parts of the mount manual will help.  Thanks also,
for the quick response.

--
 Regards  _

I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin
Love Song - The Damned