Re: smbmount issues (related to CIFS?)

On Jan 31, 2008 12:14 AM, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> On the machine having the 2.6.22 kernel, I can not. Here's the error:
>
> westk@westek:~$ smbmount //faculty/web netShares/web/
> Password:
> mount error 2 = No such file or directory
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>

> This used to work on this box, until a few months (weeks?) ago (I'm just
> now getting around to working on the problem).
>
> Both boxes run Sid.

If you have a "helpful" ISP, such as Verizon, then it's going to
resolve "faculty" to its search service, which isn't what you want.
With smbfs, you could specify

name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast

to avoid the DNS lookup.  With cifs, you can't, since it doesn't yet
respect smb.conf.  However, you can install winbind and edit
/etc/nsswitch.conf, setting the hosts spec to:

hosts:          files wins dns

That worked like a charm for me, with thanks to Steve Langasek (vorlon).

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh