Re: smbmount issues (related to CIFS?)

> I have two Debian boxes:

> On the machine having the 2.6.18 kernel, with the "real"
> /usr/bin/smbmount command, I can mount an SMB file system exported from
> a Sun 5.9 box.
>
> On the machine having the 2.6.22 kernel, I can not. Here's the error:
>
> westk@westek:~$ smbmount //faculty/web netShares/web/
> Password:
> mount error 2 = No such file or directory
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Take a look at smbfs bug report #458071

You have to scroll down past the original bug.. but it might help.

> This used to work on this box, until a few months (weeks?) ago (I'm just
> now getting around to working on the problem).
>
> Both boxes run Sid.
>
> I very vaguely recall reading something about some aspect of smbfs going
> away, and now needing to use CIFS, and I probably updated some package
> in order to follow the gameplan, but I don't remember what I did.

You most likely installed the new smbfs and samba-common packages and now
smbmount and mount.smbfs are a wrapper to mount.cifs

Which is as it should be, as the smbfs kernel module is broken and will
never be fixed, so use the cifs one instead.

> Further, I really hate to go backwards - I'd rather get fixed whatever's
> broken in the "new" setup (assuming I have a "new" setup).
>
> Any of you folks understand the Samba ins-and-outs well enough to help
> me get this straightened out?

Are you attempting to mount as a guest user?
In other words, you attempt a mount and the server assumes you to be a guest?

Or are you trying to authenticate using your own username?
In which case it's different to the case I'm familiar with and the
following might not help...

The problem can most likely be solved in a number of ways...

1. different mount options

Does the following work for you....
mount.cifs //server/share /mount_point -o guest

What about...
mount.cifs //server/share /mount_point -o guest,sec=none

2. Samba server options - is smb.conf using: security=user ?

How does it handle "bad" users?
In the samba server (assuming you have admin rights to the server)...
Can you try the smb.conf option:  map to guest = bad user

Hope that helps.
Cheers...
Lex