Re: kernel versus broadcom wlan

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:11:19 -0700, wauhugo AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> I have got the Broadcom WLAN Chip BCM943111MCG in my PC.
> "b43-fwcutter" installed some firmware.
> But it works in Debian SID with ndiswrapper only so far.
> But, you know, ndiswrapper imports parts of WINDOWS into Debian. I don't
> want that.
>
> Searching the web have I found, that there are two new Linux drivers:
>
>   * b43
>   * b43legacy
>
> I didn't find these in a Debian kernel source.

$ ls -ld /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/net/wireless/b43*
drwxrwxr-x 2 root src 4096 2008-01-24 23:58 /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/net/wireless/b43
drwxrwxr-x 2 root src 4096 2008-01-24 23:58 /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy

I have the Debian linux sources version 2.6.24-1 installed.

> So I have built my new kernel from 2.6.24
> <http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.24.tar.bz2> from
> kernel.org

I think neither the b43 nor the b43legacy is the correct choice; they
both seem to be intended for vendor-ID 0x4243 and device-ID 0x812. (See
below for how to find out these identifiers for your chip.)

> Now it seems, that the b43 kernel module does not serve the hardware,
> but ssb does:
> ###$ lshw -C net                   description: Network controller
>      product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
>      vendor: Broadcom Corporation
>      physical id: 0
>      bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
>      version: 02
>      width: 64 bits
>      clock: 33MHz
>      capabilities: bus_master cap_list
>      configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
>
> If I understand things correctly, then should the module be: module=b43
> rather.

According to /usr/share/misc/pci.ids your chip should have the vendor-ID
0x14e4 and the prodcut-ID 0x4311. Check with "lspci -nn" if this is
correct; you should see these numbers listed as "[14e4:4311]" right
after the name of the card/chip. This would mean that you need the
bcm43xx module if I read the kernel sources correctly. (Note: I don't
have any direct experience with this particular chip/card.)

I am not sure what to make of this ssb module, though. Part of its
description reads: "Support for the Sonics Silicon Backplane bus.
You only need to enable this option, if you are configuring a kernel for
an embedded system with this bus. It will be auto-selected if needed in
other environments." For now I would assume that the kernel knows what
it is doing and leave this module loaded.

So, make sure that you have the bcm43xx module compiled and try to load
it. If there are any problems use "modprobe -v bcm43xx" to get more
details about what is going on.

> Googling tells me, that this problem is caused by "udev" and could be
> corrected by an entry in the file
>
>   * z75_persistent-net.rules, which I suppose, is in Debian
>     /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net-rules, which looks in my
>     system after trials of modifications like this:

Leave udev and this file alone for now. You have to find the right
module for the broadcom chip and make it load correctly. Once that is
settled you can fine-tune the naming your various network devices.

          Florian   |