Re: Disappearing packages

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:25:16PM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> The single greatest annoyance to me in tracking Testing is that
> a couple of times a week a package disappears and I end up spinning
> wheels for a couple of hours trying to figure out whether the
> disappearance is permanent or temporary - whether it is a mistake
> or a quirk of package migration or a security nightmare - whether
> to uninstall or leave it be.
>
> Is there some readily accessible source of such information that
> I'm overlooking?
>
> A few examples which come to mind:  Today kde-amusements disappeared.
> A week ago it was rapidsvn, which has since reappeared.  A month or
> so ago it was gqview.  xmms-mad was another, I forget when.

There are probably sever sources of information.  The one I used when I
had to run testing (Etch) was just
http://packages.debian.org/[package_name]

It links to the bug list for the packge in testing or unstable.

I think that your frustration may be why people either run Sid or Stable
more than pure Testing.  Fixes to Sid happen more frequently than to
Testing but overall if you want a stable OS, run stable.  So ask
yourself why are you not running stable.

Doug.