System bogged down by email trouble?

Hello,

today when I started work I opened the Openoffice spreadsheet I had been
working on yesterday. It took about 15 seconds to open. No CPU activity.
Puzzling.

The only other thing different from yesterday is that the company's mail server
seems to be down. Could that have to do with OOs sluggishness? How so?

Which brings me to another point: I've set up my system so that exim locally
accepts SMTP connections and relays mail through the company server (the
firewall doesn't allow SMTP directly to the outside). OK that server is
down at the moment, no big deal, but what puzzles me is that exim itself
takes forever to locally accept mail. Same thing when I do a "mailq" (where
of course I still see all my outgoing mails from this morning).

How is that? Shouldn't exim just accept mail, stuff it in the queue and then
worry about what to do with it?

Thanks,
--D.