Disappearing packages

The single greatest annoyance to me in tracking Testing is that
a couple of times a week a package disappears and I end up spinning
wheels for a couple of hours trying to figure out whether the
disappearance is permanent or temporary - whether it is a mistake
or a quirk of package migration or a security nightmare - whether
to uninstall or leave it be.

Is there some readily accessible source of such information that
I'm overlooking?

A few examples which come to mind:  Today kde-amusements disappeared.
A week ago it was rapidsvn, which has since reappeared.  A month or
so ago it was gqview.  xmms-mad was another, I forget when.

TIA,

--Mike Bird