Re: UPS question

Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
I have a new ups and it came with a software disc with the following Unix software...AIX, Freebsd, HP, Linux, SCO, Solarus. Which one do I use and or Is there software on the Synaptic Package Manager that I should look for?
You've already got some suggestions for alternative solutions. If the UPS is really crappy so it won't work with standard tools, or really good so the accompanying software is too good to pass up, you can do the following:

Pick the linux software and unpack it. Depending on how it's packaged that might be a challenge. Tell us what the file looks like if you need help. Key words here are "shar" and "alien". When you've got the files unpacked, you'll most likely have some statically linked files that will run just fine on debian. Check the binaries (i.e non-scripts) with ldd to check that you have any necessary libaries in case it is NOT statically linked. If ldd does not list anything missing, you are good to go. If something is missing, you might need to install some extra packages. The names of the missing libs (possibly aided by google) will put you on track of which packages are needed.